Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Scrap Wood Patriotic Star Wreath

While we were building our log cabin, I saved ten small scrap pieces of wood from the burn pile and two years later I have turned them into stars!


I made two identical star wreaths. Each star used five pieces of the wood scraps. I arranged them into a star and glued the pieces together.



Then I brushed a vinegar solution onto them to age the wood. (let rusty metal sit in  vinegar overnight to make this solution)


Once the stars dried for a little while in the sun today I attached red and blue pip berries, along with a burlap bow and an american flag with floral wire.



That's it. All done. I hung one on the front door of our cabin and the other one is for sale in my Etsy shop.



Every time we burned scrap wood while building I cringed. I had plans for all of it, however, my husband kept reminding me that as long as we were building there would be more scraps.

Don't you just love making a project from trash!

'til next time,
Adina


                                                                        Linking to


21 comments:

  1. Love it! This would be great for Christmas too. Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love the simplicity! We will be featuring this on our Patriotic Round-Up today!

    Take care,

    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all your 4th of July decorations. And yes, I love making things from scrap wood, too. Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July and are enjoying your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How long where the slats you used?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan - the slats of wood are 14 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Melanie, the solution I use to weather wood is white vinegar and a small piece of rusty metal. Just drop the piece of metal into a gallon of vinegar and let it sit overnight. A couple rusty nails or maybe rusty steel wool will work. You don't need a lot of metal. The next day the vinegar should look kind of milky with a rusty tiny. Just paint this solution onto your wood. It affects all wood a little differently. Try it on a scrap piece first. I hope this helps.

      Delete
  7. Hi Adina,
    I think this is such an interesting switch from the traditional front door wreath and I will sure remember the aging wood vinegar paint tip. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just beautiful! Love the rustic simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! We shared this on our blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Where do you find red-white and blue pip berries?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Candis, I happened to have a strand of red pip berries and another one that had blue and white ones, so I just took some from what I already had on hand. I have seen them in home decor shops that sell primitive decor and you can also find them online. Here's a link to an online shop that carries some:
      http://factorydirectcraft.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=red+white+blue+pip+berries
      Hope this helps.
      Adina

      Delete
  11. Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial Adina...will surely give this project a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super cute! Thanks for the tutorial Adina...will surely give this project a try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so incredibly beautiful! i’ve included this post on one of my “favorite things” wreath edition posts. thank you for sharing your talent!

    http://www.twofivethreeblog.com/2016/04/my-favorite-things-front-door.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so special.Thank you for the diy tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What are the demensions of the wood slats?

    ReplyDelete